Thursday 28 March 2013

Superbad

When I think of the times that I went to the movies with friends in high school, the movie that I remember the most was Superbad. This movie appealed to me because it was rated 18A, so I needed my mom to buy the tickets for me and my friends to get in. After watching Superbad for the first time in theaters, I walked away content, but not blown away. I thought it had some funny moments, but faltered as the movie progressed, turning a bit too sentimental.

Superbad was a real career starter for the young stars. Jonah Hill, Michael Cera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse have all gone onto successful acting careers, including a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Hill. The screenplay was written by Seth Rogen, and was directed by Greg Mottola. The story centers around a group of soon-to-be graduating high school students who get invited to their first grad party. After Seth (Hill) casually talks about getting into clubs with his fake ID, he, Evan( Cera), and Fogell (Mintz-Plasse), are asked to buy the alcohol for the party. 

When Fogell tries to use his fake ID at the liquor store (with the name Mclovin), he gets knocked out by a robber and questioned by the police. Seth and Evan believe that he was being arrested by the police, and head out on an adventure of their own to get the booze for the party.

Despite being a movie about struggling teenagers, I appreciate this movie a lot more now than I did when I was the age of the characters. I couldn't believe how much I was laughing for the entire movie, and the sentimental moments were heartfelt and believable. 

I encourage people to take a second look at this movie, as I believe the humour has matured extremely well, and it will keep you laughing all the way through. One of my all-time favourite comedies.

5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment